San Gimignano rises on a hill that dominates the Valdelsa at the height of 324 meters. This place was inhabited since the age of the Etruscan; it takes the name from the bishop of Modena San Gimignano. From the XII century the city had its own consuls and became a free Comune. For many years San Gimignano fought with the near towns mostly against Volterra; afterwards it was victim of the intestine struggles between the two families of opposite factions: the Guelph Andirghelli and the Ghibellines Salvucci. From 1300 it accepted the partial domain of Florence, but in the half of the same century the city was totally subjected to Florence. San Gimignano was born as an agricultural market on the ancient Via Francigena; between the XII and the XIII century were built the main buildings of the city, where there were the towers which in 300 rises the number of 72 while actually are remained only 15. For the singular medieval architecture of its old center, it is declared an UNESCO’s humanity heritage. The site of San Gimignano, despite some restores of 800-900, is mostly intact in the aspect of 200-300 and is one of the best examples in Europe of urban organization of the common age.
San Gimignano is 60 km far from Florence, 40 km from Siena, 90 km from the sea. The Pro Loco agency organizes weekly trekking groups, horse paths, excursion, archeological visits and more.